Sunday, May 15, 2011
My trek back to school
After some thought and finding out about an ED.D program in Music, I've decided to take my talents to that city 60+ miles from Downtown ATL. Yep...I will be attending the University of Georgia to pursue a doctorate in Music Education. Here's why
1. I figured if I'm going to teach in public school, I should get paid as much as I can. I know that teaching is not about the money; however, there is a July 15 deadline to start an advanced degree and actually get paid for it.
2. I want to move to full time college teaching. Hey, I enjoy teaching.
3. I also feel that teaching a bunch of lessons and doing gigs will not take care of my family on a long term basis. I will continue to teach lessons
4. Under the SEAT program at UGA, I don't have to quit my job. The majority of the music courses are in the summer. I only have to take 1-2 classes during the fall and spring semesters. I can take them at the Gwinnett County campus. I didn't want to get another performance degree. I felt that my time would have been wasted.
5. I had checked out other universities around the south, including Auburn, South Carolina, Florida State. I would either have to quit my job and/or move. It would have been too much of a hassle and I DID NOT want to do an online program. I want to attend where I can see the professor and call him/her and be active in the schools music department. I will probably apply of an assistantship for 2012-2013.
I'm excited...the only thing is that I start June 11th, so I got to get a buch of stuff together before then. No summer for me, except for 2 weeks, where for 1 week we will be in Florida relaxing.
More to come later